Q) How do I lose body fat around my midsection?
A) I used to say that there’s no such thing as “spot reduction”, meaning, you can’t lose body fat in just one area, but instead, will lose all over. While this is still partially true, I have learned that excessive body fat is simply a representation of our altered hormonal profiles. In other words, the fatter you are, the more hormonal imbalances exist. For example:
- the thickness of a person’s umbilical skin fold (your gut) is a direct reflection of prolonged cortisol (the stress hormone) output. A relatively fat midsection indicates stress levels are high and/or the ability to handle stress is low.
- the thickness of a person’s suprailiac (love handle) is a direct reflection of the person’s insulin sensitivity, and thus, the amount of carbohydrate they consume, and their ability to utilize it for fuel. Those with prominent love handles are eating too much carbohydrate and have insulin resistance.
- The thickness ratio of a man’s pec (chest) to tricep (back of the arm) represent’s testosterone production, or how “male” he is. If a man has a large pec skinfold, then he may very well squat to pee, as his testosterone is likely being converted to estrogen.
So, back to the original question, the best way to lose belly fat is to identify why you’re overproducing cortisol and insulin: Typically Stress and sugar.
What To Do About It:
1) Sleep as much as you can without getting divorced or fired. There’s nothing that humans can benefit more from, then getting 7-8+ hours of sleep/night. (See sleep article in Sept. newsletter)
2) Eat Real Food. That means read the featured grains article in the right column and stick to meat, veggies, nuts/seeds and some fruit. Also try and eat every 3-4 hours to avoid blood sugar crashes that can increase cortisol levels.
3) Exercise in a way that’s appropriate for YOU! This means you need to be smart about when and how you exercise. if you don’t exercise, then start, and if you workout intensely everyday, but aren’t seeing results, then maybe back off and see how you feel.
How Do You Determine Your Hormonal Profile?
Locate a BioSignature Practitioner in your area. They will assess body fat in order to determine what your body fat priority is, and develop a nutritional, exercise and supplement program based on your individual hormonal needs.